Wednesday 8 October 2014

Why am I here...

So here at Gamer Dad - Thorncliff, my topic of choice is video games! This decision is the result of video games being a massive passion of mine. This passion started many years ago with my trusty old Nintendo Gameboy. Surely you remember the one: the grey brick with the 8-bit screen, directional pad and two action buttons, A and B? It came with Tetris. and I can remember spending hours on end playing it, trying to beat my previous score. I also had Super Mario Land; it was playing Super Mario Land that I first became connected to a character. Mario had a goal. Rescue the princess. It wasn’t like games today with unlimited respawns: when you died in-game back then, you died, and had to start all over again.


The first computer my parents got was an Amiga 500. It had some epic games that even to this day are getting rebooted. SimCity, Road Rash, Prince of Persia and Rick Dangerous made me fall in love with video games even more. My favourite game of all was called Cabal. You played as a commando fighting your way through military bases. One of the best parts was that it was my first taste of co-op gameplay. More hours than I can remember were spent playing this game with my brother and school friends.

Then came our first PC. It had a 2GB hard drive that the salesman assured us we’d never fill. Yeah, right. With the PC came a whole new level of gaming, in the form of the firstperson shooter (FPS), and in particular Doom and Quake. Stuck on Mars or jumping through a portal into another dimension became what I wanted to do with all my free time.

The first console I bought was the original Xbox, followed by an Xbox 360. The worlds of Halo and Fable made me fall in love with gaming even more. Beautiful and strange new worlds were brought to life in front of my very eyes, ready to explore and conquer.  

I made the switch a few years ago to Playstation and haven’t looked back. I now own all of their consoles - PS One to PS4 - and a PS Vita. I’ll probably start an argument here but in my opinion the controller feels better than the Xbox 360 controller, and the operating system on Playstation is very easy to use.

I like having both Sony and Microsoft consoles as enjoy both brands exclusive titles. I would cry if I couldn’t play a new Halo or Gears of War game on the Xbox, or an Uncharted or God of War on Playstation.



I also own a pretty good PC that I also play games on but this is not my preferred medium.


I am now more excited than ever before to see what the gaming world has in store for the future. I am an admin on a Facebook page called Aussie Gamers Express and co-host a weekly podcast of the same name, with a friend of mine LewkOne who I went to high school with.

Being passionate about the subject of video games makes it so hard to limit what I have to say but check back soon for more.

Cheers,
Thorncliff

No comments:

Post a Comment